Deagon Racecourse is the home of Racing Queensland Limited, the current proprietors of the track. The track is a full time training facility in south east Queensland. It adjoins the bay side suburb of Sandgate, off the Gateway motorway north of Brisbane.
In 1890, Hiram Wakefield, George Agnew and Nathaniel Corrigan were granted authority to run the track for Racecourse purposes on trust basis.
Later in 1890, financial woes led the government to intervene on behalf of the trustees and permitted the sale of the Deagon to the Sandgate Town Council as Freehold Title.
The Deagon Racecourse is 110 years old and was once operated as a private race track by John Wren going by the name 'Sandgate Racetrack.' Racing took place at the track for the last time on November 12, 1941.
A closed TAB race meeting took place at the Deagon Racecourse on September 14, 2007 at the time of the Equine Influenza crisis of 2007 which marked the first race at the track for 66 years.
In 1948, the Brisbane Amateur Turf Club took over ownership of the track and later passed it to the Brisbane Turf Club (BTC). BTC later sold the racecourse to the Queensland State Government via the Racing Development Fund administered by the Racing Industry in 1999.
Queensland Racing Limited (2006), which later became Racing Queensland Limited in 2010, were handed back administration of the course.