The history of the Port Lincoln Racecourse started back in the year 1920's. Surrounded by dazzling scenery plus amazing local cusine such as seafood, the track is popular with its picnic styled race meetings.
Port Lincoln Race course's circumference measures up to 1,550m and has a considerably short straight of only280m, wich makes for a tight circuit. Well banked home turns gives those horses who are making some ground every possible chance. At the 900m mark the track has a long sweeping turn. However the course favours those horses that like to race close to the lead. The track also has four starting chutes that cater to different race distances.
The Port Lincoln Racecourse is under the operation of the Port Lincoln Racing Club Incorporated. In 1946 the Port Lincoln and North Shields Racing Club relocated to its current location and from that point on, they conducted thoroughbred racing under the name Port Lincoln Racing Club Inc. The club is in fact regarded as one of the top regional country racing clubs in South Australia.
Races that are held at this track are very popular. One of which is the Cup Carnival. It is considered the major sporting event of the year for the whole region. The said Carnival attracts large crowds of punters, spectators and trainers from all around the place to witness thoroughbred horse racing events. Another big event at the Port Lincoln race course is the Kimba Cup that is usually held every March.
One of the courses famous facility is the Carlton and United Beverages Function Center which was only opened on the 20th of February 2005. Aside from racing, the track's facilities can also be used as function rooms for different occasion, ranging from weddings and birthdays to corporate functions and meetings.